Sunday, October 15

A noisy fly and other friends

I don't normally do this, but this hits me at a level equivalent to Narnia, so I gotta bitch.

Yesterday I went to a church wedding. Now I believe in God, but he's not Jesus. So there was a mild conflict of interest as I spent a hazy Saturday afternoon in His House. But my friend was exchanging marriage vows and what-nots, so I shelved my discomfort aside and came to offer my best wishes. Afterall, the previous church wedding I attended was a warm rosy affair, and I imagined this the same.

How wrong I was.

First of all, the pastor was very very annoying. He pretended to be the star attraction of the event, rather than the couple about to marry. In his monotonous mumbling voice, he delivered a lecture on love, loving and lovingness and all and it was so dam nauseating. I counted the word love a total of 3000 times in his speech of 30 minutes. Like a fly dancing around in a pile of decaying flesh, he kept zipping and zapping and yapping non-stop. And the worse part was, the trophy speech he delivered, a girl translated it into chinese for the sake of all those who mercifully missed it.

Real thoughful. I can't speak for everyone in the audience, but I had wanted him to Nike the solemnization. The bleddy fool refused to just do it.

We waited and waited and waited. After a whole 60 mins, he reluctantly exited the centre-stage. Finally the wheels creaked and the event went its way to a photo taking session. A quick snap of people close to the bride and groom for memorial's sake, ya? It should all go pretty, till the order of appearance flashed onto a powerpoint slide across the church wall. If I remembered correctly, the order went a little like this:

1. Groom's relatives
2. Bride's relatives
3. Groom's chuch friends
4. Bride's church friends
5. Groom's colleagues
6. Bride's colleagues
7. Groom's other friends
8. Bride's other friends

Naturally I fell into category no. 8. I confess, I'm not really close to the bride. But some of my friends knew her for 10 plus years, and they helped with her wedding and they still fell into no. 8 (Bride's other friends). Again, I don't know how they feel, but I'm really glad to see where I stand when it comes to this friendship.

Thanks for the clarification. I believe this is how racial discrimination got started.

No comments: