Thursday, February 10

VW funeral TVC

Back in the 60s, this VW ad was so good that families crowded around the TV to catch it, like a prime time show. Ah, those were the times of the legendary Bill Bernbach.

Here is the copy of the TVC:

"I, Maxwell E. Savely being of sound mind and body do bequeath the following:

To my wife Rose, who spent money like there was no tomorrow, I leave $100 and a calendar...

To my sons Rodney and Victor who spent every dime I ever gave them on fancy cars and fast women... I leave $50 in dimes...

To my business partner, Jules, who's motto was 'spend spend spend' I leave 'nothing nothing nothing'.

And to my other friends and relatives who also never learned the value of a dollar, I leave... a dollar.

Finally, to my nephew Harold, who oft times said: "A penny saved is a penny earned" and who also oft times said "Gee Uncle Max, it sure pays to own a Volkswagen". I leave my entire fortune of one hundred billion dollars.

No comments: